Wednesday, October 22, 2008

The Endless Mine Shaft

So last Friday Chris had to study all night in the library, so I went to this "endless" mine shaft in a town called Santequin, with a bunch of single people :) I knew one of them, his name is Bowen, and so I went with him and his FHE group, it was so much fun! Ok, so it's this huge hole, it's like 2000 feet deep, and you throw things down it after you light them on fire to see how far down they go. It's covered by these big metal bars that you can walk across, but it's kinda hard. The bars are about 6 inches apart, and you can dangle your feet through them over the hole, it's kinda scary. So we brought a bunch of milk jugs with gas, and some glass bottles, and other flammable things, filled them all half way up with gas, and then stuck a part of a t shirt in there, lit it, and drop. Some of the things we dropped just went on forever and you couldn't see the bottom, it just kept going! It was so much fun!



My feet dangling over the hole, it's below me in the pitch black.







Milk jugs of gasoline :)





So this is the huge hole and the metal bars over it so people don't fall in. So I'm sitting on top of a 2000 foot drop! it's crazy!



This is a cup with some gasoline in it



It goes on forever!!


This was a pitcher of gas, we like it when they hit the sides and blow up!



This was another pitcher of gas, it blew up really close to me, and it got really hot, that's why I turned the camera away for a sec...







This explosion was sweet!



So they decided to do 3 milk jugs all tied together at the same time. We were all expecting a huge explosion, but they just dropped all the way to the bottom, and when we thought it was over, this HUGE gust of wind came up from the bottom of the hole with all this dust and stuff, it was so weird!! Kinda scary too!










We tried the 3 milk jugs again, but we didn't get the gust of wind :(

4 comments:

Melisa said...

I didn't know that was there! When someone finally goes back in there, there is going to be one big mess down there.

KelBelle said...

Sweet--my baby sister is throwing Molotov Cocktails into a mine shaft! I bet the city is totally cool with that...it looks like a lot of fun! Oh, and the girl with the green shirt on (blanket around her shoulders), sitting left of you, looks like she's pinching a loaf down the shaft!! Ha, ha!

It's about time you posted something new! I'll call you ( and tell you about those lines in the side of the mountain..you know?) this weekend when my minutes are FREEEEEE!!! HIIIIII!! Love and miss you!

Jenn said...

I'm with Melisa, a GIANT mess. You have to think of these things when you have kids...just for future reference. :)

Myrick Family said...

What if the bars broke??? I guess that was a risk you were willing to take for the glory of watching flaming things go into holes!!- Shane...o ya, I can blog too